Friday, June 20, 2008

Martin Scorsese Response (Blog 2)

I think that Scorsese has a very interesting view when it comes to making movies. I really like the way that he compares watching and making a film to reading. I think it is a great idea to teach film making in schools. I don't think that younger elementary students can be taught how to see films this way. However by maybe fourth or fifth grade students might be ready to start learning how to "read through film." I like his ideas for having children watch movies in schools. He wants them to think about how the story is told differently through a visual medium rather than being read. I think that coming up with as many different ways to teach students is very important as a teacher. There are some kids out there that aren't going to "get it" until you try something different. I have never thought about using a movie as a "reading tool" and now that I have I really like the idea.
I really like that he talks about the violence in his films weren't made for children. I like how he doesn't apologize for the violence in him films, he talks about how violence is a part of life and it isn't meant for young eyes. He seems to be very concerned about not wanting children to see his more violent movies.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I liked his view on the violence, too. He understands it is what draws in the moviegoers yet is inappropriate for children. It was an interesting interview!